Monday Moanings ~ January 28, 2019

Up the river poodle

Today we woke up to poodle zoomies weather, otherwise known as a good 6 inches of snow. Elsa zoomed up and down the dog run racing around in jack-rabbit gallops and yet happy to come inside (and shake off…once in the house). Does anyone know why dogs ALWAYS wait until they’re safely indoors before shaking?

Today should prove to be interesting since I have an appointment this morning. Just hoping I can return safely and get back up the little hill to the driveway. Hoping you aren’t stuck ‘up the river without a poodle paddle’ and your Monday starts off on a ‘pawsitive’ note. To our friends in the upper Midwest, stay safe and warm in the midst of a Polar Vortex this week.

72 thoughts on “Monday Moanings ~ January 28, 2019

It never fails…super wet dogs and they will invariably shake once they come inside.

Thank you for swinging by the Ranch. Losing a pet is far too hard not to have the support of the pet community. I hope you and the kitties are beginning to adjust to the new normal without your beautiful Tallulah. Thinking of you and yours. 💖

1. Eliza Waters

We’ve trained Wren to ‘Shake!’ on the front porch, which she does most of the time, unless she decides ‘she doesn’t want to.’ 😉 It can be hit or miss!

Elsa is better at it than Sam, but usually only when she’s super wet. Those other times end up being the misses that end up splattered all over kitchen walls. Sigh.

2. Idaho PugRanch

We have lucked out so far and I think only 1 or 2 days with below temps and Feb is forecasted to be warmer than average! Yay
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

Good for you. It was chilly, chilly, chilly this morning. And 10″ of snow made for an interesting walk (or should I say, gallop).

3. evilsquirrel13

It’s good to see Glenn McCoy’s comics have gone worldwide now. He’s a local product and got his start with a strip in the local papers back when I was still reading the comics page 25 years ago. As you can see, he loves bad puns!

4. Rowena

Dogs and kids are a law unto themselves. My question about dog behaviour along these lines, is why do dogs insist on leaving the back door open when it’s freezing cold outside? Quite a few of my dogs have had a thing against closed doors. Bilbo also used to stand in the rain bless him.
    Hope you’re having a good week.
    Best wishes,
    Rowena

Dogs are very much like teens; totally unaware of the world surrounding them. We’re off for hospital visits today and tomorrow, if I can get the car out of the icy driveway that is. 😇

I would have preferred staying home but Elsa needed to have her blood checked. Luckily we made it unscathed, unlike too many we encountered.

1. KDKH

Elsa is important. I had an ultrasound appointment for my senior dog last week and rescheduled because of the heavy snow, I just can’t handle rush hour traffic, heavy snow, and a very anxious blind dog all at once.

She needed a refill on her anti-seizure meds (even though they’d have renewed till we could have gotten in). Besides, for me it’s always best not to postpone. #MurphysLaw 😁

They tend to sleep a lot as they get older. 😌 Hope he continues to do well.

It was quite the adventure. Only got stuck 3 times. 🙄 Don’t want to do that again any time soon. Stay safe and warm. I’ve heard it’s gonna be super cold up your way.

We got probably 10” today but it has stopped snowing and now there are beautimous blue skies. It’s gorgeous but cold. And deep!

1. Anarette

Here we can’t visit if it rains at the site or at headquarters (something to do with wet doggies making a mess). Don’t you have something like that for snow? Benji

Nope, nothing like that here. Sam will wear his snow boots till we get inside. Hospital puts way too much de-icer down and it burns his feet.

Winter is already feeling way too long here. I had to go to an appointment last Monday in the snow, and my ride home was a little scary! We have another one coming tomorrow into Weds.; I hope nothing comes up and I can just stay off the roads!
    I’ve always tried to teach my dogs to shake, so I could get them to do it outside instead of in. So far, no luck. LOL

It’s never fails…the shake always comes once they cross the threshold.
      We’re doing hospital visits tomorrow and hope the roads are better than they were today.

If I had all-wheel or 4-wheel drive, it probably wouldn’t be a problem, but mine is a little bitty car. I’m always afraid I’ll get high centered in the alley.

6. BellaDharma's LadyMew

Meow meow Miss Monika that iss furry funny!! Upss THE river without a Poodell! Yore so clevurr.
    An mee wudnerss why poochiess all wayss shake off their furss inn THE house….
    ***purrsss*** BellaDharma

7. Sandee

I hope your errands get done and you make it back up the hill without an issue. Stay warm.

Have a fabulous day and week. Scritches to the pups. ♥

We’re back now, and trust me when I say…never want to do that any time soon again! Yikes!

Thanks. It was very dicey and saw several accidents. Glad to not join their parties.

thanks for that comic! Hilarious! Our poodle is zooming around too, and although I stand at the front door, yelling our word for shake off “shimmy” Milo only half heartedly does it. He doesn’t mind the snow on him but leaves a trail of ice balls off his feet on the carpet.

Ah yes, the ole ice balls. That’s the tricky part of being outside when you’re a poodle. Stay safe and warm. It’s a nightmare driving in this out here.

9. Michael (GoldenKali.com)

The Golden K has been bathed in Spring-likze weather. Trying not to enjoy it too much as we are only a month into winter and we need a lot more rain. Shorts and flip flops scsream at me from the closet but I’m trying to ignore them. Stay safe with your icy roads and yeah, why do these pups wait to get inside before shaking off real n, snow, mud, clay, etc etc etc….?

Hope more rain arrives soon your way. The weatherman said 1-2″ but there’s close to 10 now and it’s still snowing. I probably shouldn’t complain about the snow flying everywhere in the house, Both dogs, even with jackets, looked like they were flocked!

The drive was treacherous but I’m safely home now in one piece and will stay here until tomorrow when Sam & I will be going to the hospital. Such fun. Not. 😇

10. Xena and Lucy

It’s only logical. They might get wet again before coming the house if they shook off outside. We’re supposed to get 2-3 inches of the white stuff tomorrow, which means all the schools will be closed whether or not it snows. And also that Jeff and I won’t have to go into work. 🙂

Whoa. I remember work days where we were expected to get in despite there being a foot on the ground. 🥶Stay safe and warm.

Wait, no snow and no school?! Doesn’t seem right. The no school part that is. *Sigh*

11. Dale

I dunno why they do that… I tickle Zeke’s ears which makes him shake and I repeat the word “Shake” hoping one day (right… at age 9) he will learn what I am asking him to do BEFORE coming inside!!

Good luck with the snow! The sun is blazing here… and it’s a “balmy” -9F right now…

-9F? Eep. That shaking command seems to work only about 25-30% of the time. And in true Murphy’s Law fashion…rarely to never works when they’re covered in lots of wet stuff. LOL Stay warm up your way.

1. Dale

That’s nuthin’- supposed to get colder…
        And yeah. Rarely to never is true. Way more fun when there’s a couple if inches of the white stuff covering him!

They sure seem to think so. Thank goodness for tile floors and washable walls.

Howl or bark your thoughts. No growling, please.