Sam here. Ever notice how we 4-legged fur-iends manage to park our furs smack dab in the middle of the smallest room of the house and give you the “why do you have to keep stepping over or around me” look? Wanna to fix breakfast? Yeah, go around me-you’re not getting into the Frig while I’m hanging out here in front of it (may I suggest dry cereal or toast instead of eggs) and don’t even think about trying to load or empty the dishwasher. Our kitchen was never intended for a dog to hang out in…that’s for sure. Owning it like a rock star, right?
It’s a scientific fact that us dogs will hang out directly under our uprights just to make life more interesting. Trust me, it’s a rule and is also in the Dog Trivia Handbook.
Where do you hang out to make life more ‘interesting’ for your upright? Bonus points if it’s in between their feet or legs.
Live, love, bark! <3
It’s Tuesday so that means it’s time for some trivia! Sam here, mom’s got a touch of laryngitis so I offered to do this week’s trivia (bwahaha, she couldn’t argue when I grabbed the laptop because she’s a bit croaky so I think I’m gonna love the next few days of peace and quiet and no scolding from her).
So here is this week’s ‘All About Dogs” trivia questions with the answers listed below. See how many you get correct.
- Do you know the breed of dog first known as the Rothbury Terrier?
- Which dog is considered barkless but who actually makes a noise much like a yodeling Swiss Mountain climber?
- What breed of dog has a black tongue while every other known dog’s tongue is pretty in pink?
- What was the name of the dog from “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”?
- What is the smallest breed of dog as recognized by the AKC?
- If you got the smallest breed, do you know the largest dog breed recognized by the AKC?
- What inspired the Chewbacca character from Star Wars? [hint, it was George Lucas’ what?]
- Do you know why dogs and wolves yawn?
- Here’s an easy one…Dalmatians born with what color?
- Ok, here’s a harder one…what breed is the state dog of North Carolina? I’m gonna have to find out why Colorado doesn’t seem to have a state dog. What’s up with that?!
- What breed appeared in the Guinness Book of World Records as the rarest dog in the world for 3 consecutive years in the early 1970’s?
- Name the breed of dog on Columbo’s TV series?
- While we’re on TV shows, what was the name of the dog on “The Partridge Family”? That’s a hard one.
- What’s the name of the dog on the Cracker Jack box?
- And finally, do dogs favor one paw (left or right) over the other?
And now…drum roll please…here are the answers!
- The Basenji who produces an unusual yodel-like sound commonly called a ‘barroo,’ resulting from its unusually shaped larynx.
- The Bedlington Terrier (you could have fooled me).
- Chow chow (I think Martha Stewart’s tongue is jet black too).
- Max (I don’t get it-is that some kind of inside joke amongst you bipeds?).
- The Chihuahua naturally…those little puplets are only 6-9″ tall at the shoulders and weigh anywhere from 2-6 lbs. Talk about ankle biters!
- The Irish Wolfhound who stands 30-35 inches at the shoulder and weighs anywhere from 105-125 lbs. minimum and officially the tallest of all dogs though not the heaviest. Mom’s daughter has two of them and boy are they big! Loki is my best running buddy but I have to double time it to keep up with her because like all sight hounds…she’s fast (no, I mean, really. really. fast)!
- George Lucas’ dog Indiana, an Alaskan Malamute.
- Yawning is a sign of contentment.
- White. They get their spots 3-4 weeks following their birth.
- The Plott Hound. Say what?
- The Shar-Pei.
- A Basset Hound (and the poor thing had no name).
- Simone. Wait, what? Simone, seriously?
- The iconic snack food box displays Sailor Jack with his dog, Bingo.
- Dogs are like people in that yes, they totally have a dominant paw like their human counterparts. The Institute for the Study of Animal Problems connected tests on cats and dogs that showed they are either right or left-handed. Then there are some of us who are ambidextrous meaning we can get in trouble every which way! 😉
Well I hope you enjoyed those interesting facts and win the trivia bowl at your neighborhood pub. Have a groovy Tuesday Trivia.
Live, love, bark! <3
Sam here…after last week’s edition of trivia from mom about Paul McCartney and his pretty OES, Martha, I thought I could do this week’s installment of Tuesday Trivia. So here goes.
- This one is especially near and dear to me and mom’s hearts. One of the Michael Vick dogs, Leo, went on to become a therapy dog who comforted children suffering from cancer. Although Leo passed away a few years ago, he was a big-hearted sweet dog who gave his all with love and compassion. Big woof out for Leo.
- Did you know that seeing eye dogs pee and poop on command so their owners can clean up after them? The command is usually “Get Busy” and male dogs are trained to not lift their legs! WTH is up with that? [Mom: That alone would disqualify Sam because we all know about his propensity for inane sniffing and circling.] “Mom, go away and stop crashing my pawty, you said I could do the post this week by myself!!” Sheesh.
- In ancient China, the emperor’s last line of defense was a Pekingese dog hidden up his over-sized sleeves. As a big dog, any punchline about little dogs and that bit of info probably would be in bad taste so I’ll keep it to myself. I don’t want you guys to think I’m an elitist.
- Did you know we dogs have 3 eyelids? An upper lid, a lower lid and the 3rd lid known as a nictitating membrane which helps to keep our eyes moist and protected.
- Continuing on with the mucus membrane vein, dog’s noses secrete a tiny layer of mucus that help us absorb scents. Licking our nose allows us to sample the scent through our mouths.
- Dalmatian puppies are born all white; their spots begin showing up as they grow older (take that Cruella DeVil, you mean old bat!).
- And finally, this piece of trivia about a dog from Colorado named Naki’o who lost all his legs to frostbite when he was a mere puppy. With the help of a local company in the Denver area, OrthoPets fitted him with prosthetics, and Naki’o is walking, even running and jumping like any bouncy pupster. He’s my kind of bionic dog except for that whole chasing balls thing. I. do. not. chase. balls. For anyone. Period.
Here’s to a safe and happy Tuesday. Mom thinks her office building will probably be the scene of a surprise evacuation drill to be called by the fire department some time later today. As the floor warden for her floor, she’s super excited about shepherding the lawyers down 30+ flights of stairs. See…things could always be worse-there’s nothing quite like trying to herd lawyers. I think she said something like she’d rather set her hair on fire, but I could have misheard because I was howling so loud at the thought her trying to get all her bosses to go downstairs without whining
complaining about the whole drill evacuation. When she gets home tonight, I think I’ll give her extra puppy kisses and love because she’s gonna need it. 😉
Live, love, bark! <3