Psst, Sam here. I’m gonna be whispering because Mom is in the other room trying to catch up on blog reading so I thought I’d help her out by doing the latest edition of Tuesday Trivia. Don’t laugh too loud, we don’t want to disturb her, ok? She’s been dying to read what everyone has been up to lately.
- Did you know that the Kublai Kahn owned 5,000 Mastiffs at one time and holds the record for most dogs ever owned b a single person? Yikes, how’d you like to clean up THAT dog run?
- That crazy rock star Ozzy Osborne once rescued his wife’s Pomeranian from a coyote by wrestling it until it dropped the dog. That guy is just too weird. After seeing Sharon in action, I think she could handle a mere coyote without having to get Ozzy in the mix but what do I know, I’m just a dog with a blog.
- We’ve all heard various stories about US Presidents and their love for their dogs. We’ve all heard the stories about Lyndon Johnson picking up his Beagle ‘Him’ by the ears and saying it “was good for him” as well as Richard Nixon’s dog Checkers who died when he was Vice President, but did you know that Franklin Roosevelt dispatched a destroyer to the Aleutian Islands to pick up his dog Fala who had been left behind. Yikes! Who leaves the president’s dog behind on an island? I’m guessing someone might have lost a job because of that mistake!
- Our fur-iends, the Beagle and Border Collies are thought to be the dog breeds that bark the most. Is that true, guys?
- Did you know there are cave paintings of dogs in Spain that are over 12,000 years old? We canines have been around protecting you guys for a long time I see! 🐾
- Dogs were the first animals domesticated by humans…and life hasn’t been quite the same since.
- A dog’s heart beats between 70 and 120 times a minute as compared with you bipeds whose hearts beat between 70 and 80 times a minute. I know when I have to go to the vet or the groomers, my heart nearly jumps out of my chest!
- Us dogs have a normal body temperature of 100.5 to 102.5 degrees F. All the more reason to not leave us in a car when you go shopping!
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the smallest dog on record was a Yorkshire Terrier in Great Britain who weighed just 4 oz. at age 2! Is that even really considered a dog? Sounds more like a pup-squeak to me! 😉
- Another Guinness Book of World Records indicates that an Australian Cattle Dog named Bluey lived to be 29 years old. Do you think he was drinking from the Fountain of Youth?
- And…get this…it is widely thought that people who own dogs live longer, have less stress and fewer heart attacks (unless you run out into the street when mom calls you over to the car-oops…).
- More than 1 in 3 American families own a dog and most pet owners (94%) say their pet makes them smile more than once a day..
- 70% of people sign their pet’s name on greeting cards and 58% include their pets in family and holiday portraits according to an American Animal Hospital Association survey.
- If never spayed, a female dog, her mate and their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in just 6 years. I don’t know about you, but that’s way too many babies even for this kid-loving hound. Spay and neuter your pets (and the weirdo relatives too while you’re at it).
- And finally, there’s a reason us dogs don’t like rain and that’s because the sound gets amplified and hurts our sensitive ears (personally I think it’s because no one in its right mind wants to get wet…I absolutely HATE water!). I’m definitely pointing this trivia point out to mom. She thinks I’m a baby about getting wet. Woman…there’s scientific evidence…so stop trying to make me walk in the rain!!
Hope all you Trivia players score big with these factoids. Oops, I think I hear mom calling for me so…see you next time!
Live, love, bark! <3