Trivia Tuesday ~ June 9, 2015

You probably know this already but did you know dogs drink by forming the underside of their tongue into a little backward cup? And here I always thought Sam slopped water all over from the topside of his tongue but when I watched him closely, it’s front, back, under, and every which way in between. That dog is a mess and the proof is in the ginormous mat under his water bowl which is nearly always soggy.  Happy Tuesday. 🙂

dogs-drinking-water

Live, love, bark! ❤

29 thoughts on “Trivia Tuesday ~ June 9, 2015

1. Jodi

You know, I think someone posted this on my Facebook page. It’s cool watching the tongue in slow motion. I did try and check this on my dogs, maybe I need to pull the tape and watch in slow mo. 🙂

2. Flea

I love that video. And thanks for reminding me to put out the mat for the dogs. Which requires cleaning the tile under and around their bowls. Which really means getting down on my hands and knees and scrubbing the heck out of the kitchen floor. So thanks for that.

3. Anna

Same here – water literally flies out of Lulu’s mouth (in buckets) onto the floor, but only on her left side. I put the water bowl on the right side of the water mat so there’s plenty of surface area to soak up the mess to the left. When Klaus drinks his ginormous mouth catches everything so he’s comparatively neat. Go figure! Except he’s a waterholic in that he doesn’t know when to stop drinking and consequently has be taken out to pee 50x a day. Per the vet’s instructions, we physically pull him from the water bowl when he goes into his binge zone. Gah! Could my dogs be any more retarded?

1. Anna

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve found poor dehydrated Lulu staring at an empty water bowl because the H2O Hog drank it all when no one was looking. YET another reason these two require supervision 24/7!

4. roweeee

Thanks so much for this post, Monika. That is so cool and it’s funny to think how we live a longside our dogs and overlook things. My kids are going to love that!! xxRowena

5. jan

I’ve seen this evidence before but it seems impossible that they could get enough water this way. Bringing to the front of their tongue seems more logical.

6. Cheryl Trobec

I did not know this – it is very cool to know! My Zeus is pretty good but my Zoe is a very messy drinker and belches like a drunken sailor after eating – otherwise very much a girl, daintly takes food from your fingers, paws crossed in front when she lays down. Go figure!