Purple Day for Epilepsy

Today is Purple Day® for Epilepsy and World Epilepsy Day™ and in honor of all epi-warriors, either 2 or 4-legged, I proudly support this event by showing our colors and wearing purple. As Elsa is a puppy mill survivor with unknown lineage who seemed to contract epilepsy shortly after she was rescued 6 months ago , supporting epilepsy awareness and education seemed like a no-brainer. I am committed to learn as much as possible about this terrible condition and how to effectively treat it while providing a safe and loving home for this sweet little Ninja. And Sam is doing his part by being a supportive and loving big brother.

So today, I say wear your purple proudly and support those organizations like The Epilepsy Foundation whose mission is to provide information, education and support for those impacted by this disease.

Live, love, bark! ❤︎

43 thoughts on “Purple Day for Epilepsy

1. FiveSibesMom

Thank you so much for joining in our annual FiveSibes #LiveGibStrong Purple Day blog hop to help promote awareness for Epilepsy. Education is so key to let others know how these amazing Epidogs can still have wonderful lives! How is Elsa doing? I’m here if you ever want to talk or need any info!

Luckily the last two seizures didn’t cause her to reset and she was her usual Ninja self fairly quickly. I’m guessing her blood levels are sufficiently high enough now that we didn’t have go through that but then again the last two seizures weren’t very intense or severe. Fingers and paws crossed.

This is a wonderful cause, and it seems like there are a lot of dogs that suffer with this. I hope raising awareness can help get more answers for Elsa and all the others.
    Our late golden retriever Moses had seizures, but his were mostly few and far between, thank goodness.

My mom’s last dog started having seizures when she was about 12 years old. They came infrequently at first, but by the time she went to Heaven, they were coming in clusters. But because she was already a senior when they started, the vet wasn’t sure it was epilepsy. All I know is that, as her older sister/replacement mom, it was hard on me. So I can imagine how hard it must be on you as Elsa’s mom. Hugs and love to all of you from the girls and me. 💜💜💜

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your experience. It is hard but you just slip into healthcare partner when they come and hope you can stem the clusters before they start. Miss Elsa deserves the best life she can possible enjoy. 💜

4. KB

Our little girl is another dog who lives with epilepsy. I didn’t know about today being epilepsy awareness day (but I have written about epilepsy and drug side effects almost every day for a couple of weeks!). Thanks for your post. Elsa is a great example of a dog who is living with epilepsy but is not defined by it.

Good for you for supporting this great cause. I know it has to be scary for human and pet parents alike when they hit. When I was in 3rd grade, many moons ago, we had a little boy in our class that I think had epilepsy. No one ever explained to us what it was, so we were sort-of afraid of him and, I hate to admit, not very nice to him. I wish I had known. 😦

6. Life With 3 Dogs

Those pictures are awesome! How do you make them!?? I have been wanting to make three one for each of our dogs and print out and add to our dog wall. Also I didn’t know today was for such an important cause. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, Joann. She didn’t the great start like all your pups do but the least I can do is provide a stable, loving environment treating her seizures as well as we can. 🙂 Awareness is the first step, and trying to get rid of stupid cruel puppy mills is a big part of that.

My second schnauzer had epilepsy, along with a class 4 heart murmur and several other problems. She was so scared during a seizure! I would hold her while she peed down the front of me, but so what. The heart condition took her at 18 months, but she sure had a great time with our big GSD before that. He would run through the yard with her attached to his neck with her teeth, since she was too weak to run.

Having Elsa has certainly brought the circle close to home. Two of my nephews who live on the East Coast have seizures and it’s amazing how tis condition affects everyone near them. Life is certainly changed with Elsa and I hope to spread the word, it’s more common than people think. ღ