Adventures at West Pines

You may remember that we were able to get a double shift at West Pines this month and mom thought you might want to know how we did on our last visit just before she went on vacation. Sam here. I am only to happy to share our adventures and happy to report I made some peeps pretty happy, if I do say so myself.

Visiting with staff and patients always make for good experiences and this trip was no exception. When we visit the various groups in their recovery process at West Pines I especially love going to the art room where everyone is gathered in a circle. There is always a large container of coloring markers in the center of the circle which I promptly knock over, without fail. In my defense, I MUST inspect everything to make sure (a) there are no hidden crumbs (these guys love to snack) and (b) make sure it’s all safe for the residents.  Mom thinks I’m just a klutz but it’s my routine game plan because it always embarrasses her and makes everyone else giggle. Win-win!

Reporting for Duty

And on this day’s visit, there were more than enough patients to visit. Usually when I sashay into a room, all the girls ooh-and-aww which automatically makes my tail wag. I just can’t help myself. Mom thinks I’m vain but I genuinely love people, especially when they say the magic word…”awwww.” So everyone wanted to pet me and kept asking me to come over to receive petting. Naturally I obliged. It’s a hard job, but somebody’s gotta do it, right? There was one girl I could tell really wanted me to swing by but she never said anything and kind of receded in the background. The others kept positioning themselves in front of me or next to me. One guy even got down on the floor so he could have me all to himself. Talk about being in hog heaven, yes I was…thank you very much.

I then came to my senses and realized someone was missing. The quiet girl. So after I visited with everyone else in the room, I trotted up to her and laid my head in her lap. Everyone couldn’t believe it. The woman who accompanies us to the various sites on campus squealed, “Oh my gosh, look at that! How adorable.” Pfft…it’s not like I’m not a pro, Miss Donna. I know what needs to be done and I could tell this girl needed me. I just had to take care of all the others. This quiet girl grinned from ear to ear and rubbed my ears just the way I like it. We both enjoyed it and I was able to bring a few moments of joy to someone who needed it. Mom was so proud of me at being able to recognize the need and Miss Donna bragged about it to other instructors. All in all it was a great day at West Pines and should be again later today when I go back. Paws crossed we have as good a time.

42 thoughts on “Adventures at West Pines

1. NylabluesMum

Mee-you yur dog-gone brilliant Sam!!! Takin thee time with ‘quiet gurl’….bet shee will nevurr furget that!
    An you look so noble an ree-gal inn yur harness inn thee foto!
    ***Hi-5’sss*** Siddhartha Henry =^,.^=

2. Aquileana

What a lovely story … and how nice to learn that you are helping people going through recovery processes. It is said that animals (dogs especially) can really make a difference in that sense. I can see why everyone likes Sam, by the way ❤ Love & best wishes 🙂

Oh Sam, you are the bestest!!!! I thinks that you ‘knock over the markers’ just to lets everyone KNOW you are in da’ HOUSE! And, I am not at all surprised that you knew just what to do for that sweet gurl….cause you gots a furry heart of GOLD!
    HIGH PAW to you and your Moms! ♥
    Ruby ♥

Brilliant report, Sam. You did great, and as for ear and head scratches – well what’s not to love. I am glad you got to go over to the shy girl and bring her some joy. You are right – it was definitely a win-win. You are certainly a pro. no doubt about that. It is currently 04:35 in the arid lands and it has been pouring for the last two hours. The thunder crashed and the lightening flashed and we have hard and welcome rain. The noise woke me up and Benji is just a tad “fragile”. Take care and well done.

Rain? Oh yeah. That’s good news I’m guessing even if it scares Benji. Winter stopped by today. It’s in the upper 30’s today with a rain/snow mix but will be back to spring again tomorrow. We still hope for one or two big storms before the heat starts. Paws crossed.

Awwwww! Now come and give ME a kiss! Maybe you are a little bit vain, but who cares?! Certainly not all your friends at West Pines! I’m proud of you Sam – and I know your Mom is too, even if she does tease you about it!

6. joyroses13

Awh!! You are too sweet! Way to go in making that quiet girl smile! Good for you, your Mom has every right to be proud. 🙂
    Keep doing your thing, even when it includes knocking over the markers. 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w