Almost Wordless Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Colorado. You’re still looking good after 142 years

Today is one of those crystal blue, clear skied day which coincides with Colorado Day where good citizens from California, Texas, Michigan and a host of many other states celebrate its 142nd birthday along with the natives. Why single out those states? They seem to be the ones moving here the most, judging by their license plates. With a great economy, 300+ days of sunshine a year, Colorado has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years. In fact, there are 5.6 million of us now in the Centennial State according to the Census Bureau. Often they all seem to be on the road at the same time these days.

Colorado Capitol Rotunda

So on this day, let’s take a moment to stop driving and start celebrating her birthday. For being 142, you’re looking pretty good, Colorado.

67 thoughts on “Almost Wordless Wednesday

Yuppers, lots of us Californian’s are moving out of the state cause it’s just too expensive to buy a house here. I mean, it’s insane! Our track houses are selling for over a million dollars ~ single story ranch. the two story houses are going for 1.6 million and above. I would never be able to live here if I wasn’t born here! Colorado is an amazing state to be in! We native CA’s who can’t afford it anymore are looking for a place like home. Happy Burthday Colorado!
    Ruby β™₯

I know what you mean, Ruby. Real Estate has gone completely bonkers here too. A house across the street from me popped its top last year and was renovated. It sold for $1.25 mill in late spring. 😱

2. M. K. Clinton

Happy birthday, Colorado! We would love to live there but I don’t do well in cold weather. We will definitely be visiting though. β™₯

3. KB

I love Colorado… I just plain love it. But we’ve actually dared to talk about moving further west a few times. It is noticeably more crowded. I don’t like that. I see the same license plates as you do, with Texas leading the way in the mountains and California in the cities. But, I still love it here, as long as I stay close to home!

I know what you mean, the crowdedness is alarming and I often wonder about moving to a smaller town. Sadly, real estate has out priced my ability to make a change so I’m trying to learn how to adapt to the new normal which really is chaotic. Rush ‘hour’ is now most of the day.

It’s definitely a special place if everyone wants to be there! My hubby’s brother and his wife moved there from TX a few years ago when they retired and they love it!

5. maxwellthedog

Happy Colorado Day. It’s a wonderful state. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that there’s so much of the ex-California emigration headed your way. The AJF and I often remark that, were it not for her aversion to all things chilly, we’d pull up stakes and be there, somewhere in the San Juans. Well, that and we’re getting way too old to be moving again. πŸ™‚

The San Juans are breathtakingly beautiful. I wouldn’t mind being there either though real estate is waaay outa my abilities to get there any time soon. I’ll just have to be a drive through admirer. 😊

I haven’t seen Michigan tags, but there are lots of people on the roads which were built when there were fewer citizens. There are a lot of people in the US now, and they are all on the road a lot in big trucks. It must be hard to see your state change, but we’ve always lived in high density areas. I wonder if those TV shows promoting large families influenced people. Yesterday I saw a woman with 4 children under the age of 7. She had her quota and mine.
    I grew up in Florida where there were always people moving in from other states. It was normal to see such growth, so the state had to keep building more roads and houses to handle it.

I’m intrigued with architecture as we visit old towns. There were boom times in some that left gorgeous homes and big downtowns that are now nearly abandoned. It’s sad to see, but towns growing is better than dying so lucky us to find a foothold here.

It’s hard to expand roadways in a short period of time (between Congress and construction, building out infrastructure takes a while). The metro area has increased in population close to 20% in the past 5 years and density has expanded exponentially. We’re building up more these days in Denver proper. Just look up at the skyline and see all the cranes. Last year there were over 30 of them in Central Denver alone.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )