Tribute Tuesday

While we’ve had a rash of special pets cross over the Rainbow Bridge over the past several months, it hasn’t been limited to Blogville. A number of fellow pet therapy dogs have left as well. I haven’t shared stories about those losses since we try to soldier on as best we can despite the hole that’s left behind. When Sam and I joined pet therapy over 4 years ago, there were over 50 dogs in the program. Today that number is just over 30.

Recently one of my absolute favorite dogs left us unexpectedly, leaving her owner, Bonnie and the rest of us who knew her, simply devastated. “Fergie” was one of those dogs you just couldn’t get enough of whenever you saw her. With a regal face, expressive features, she was a pawsome ambassador for our program. I was instantly drawn to her at the first get-together for both handlers and dogs. In the midst of dogs everywhere and uprights chit-chatting away, Fergie quietly sat next to Bonnie taking it all in. She was a beautiful soul with a calm presence who represented her breed so nicely especially in the midst of frenetic motion and noise.

Fergie was a wonderful therapy dog and will be sorely missed. Throughout her two years of service to our program, she and Bonnie provided much comfort and joy during their 64 visits. Sam and I were lucky to spend some time with Bonnie and Fergie at the annual fund-raising calendar sale with Fergie performing impressive tricks for people in the hospital lobby. And Sam adored her as much as I did.

Bonnie described Fergie this way:
“Fergie loved riding in the car wearing her goggles, and hanging her head out the window.  It also gave Fergie joy when she would get her toenails painted.  And I believe she liked wearing one of her many outfits.  She was an attention hog.  She knew only a few tricks but she was always willing to perform.Treats were a big must have for her.  Fergie loved chasing anything that ran.  She didn’t care to catch it, but she loved the run.  If she saw something running (squirrel, deer, rabbit, cat, anything) she would be on the chase.  But, if it stopped, she would stop, until it started running again and then it was off she goes!  When she would get tired or the poor creature would out smart her, she would come bounding back to me with her head held high, a smile on her face and a prance in her step just as pleased as she could be.”
Here are some photos Bonnie shared with me that show the great spirit Fergie exhibited with her good nature and sense of style.

Sam and I will miss our sweet fur-iend and hope our admiration for Fergie helps her mom deal with this untimely loss. Our program just won’t be the same without the two of them. No doubt there will be tons of nail polish colors and goggles just waiting for Fergie at the Rainbow Bridge. While she may be gone, she will not be fur-gotten. Rest in peace, sweet girl.
Live, love, bark! ❤︎

51 thoughts on “Tribute Tuesday

Oh. This is very sad. Fergie looks like she was a wonderful therapy dog. Love all of the photos of her….such a unique style. It’s hard anytime we lose a pet, but I think it is even more so when it is unexpected. Hug, kisses, and prayers for all.

2. Anarette

So sorry to hear. It’s tough to see our furry friends go. They leave our hearts full with precious memories and aching for more. Hugs and pawkisses from us.

Oh noes. I am so sorry for (everybody’s) loss. Fergie sounds like one pawsome puppers! And I do likes her style! I hope you will give Bonnie our loves, and tell her we are all thinkin’ of her and I am sendin’ lots of AireZens her way. And, Sam, if you can, gives her a big slobbery kiss from me the next time you see her, k?
    {{{hugs}}}}
    Ruby ♥

4. leaspurpose

Love the photographs of Fergie! I know how difficult this kind of loss can be. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I know that Fergie is always right there in the hearts of those who loved her so much!

Benji, the WaWa and me all send out heartfelt love and hugs to Bonnie, she has lost a companion and she will miss her. Fergie looked special and a heap of fun- we would have loved to have met her. This would not have been easy for you, so Benji and the WaWa send an extra hug to you.

Many thanks for the kind words. I gratefully accept the extra attention for your fur-kids. Fergie was one of many very special dogs we lost this past year, but one that was extra special. I adored her and her huMom who is a lovely lady. 💖

My heartfelt condolences go out to Bonnie for the loss of her Fergie. And to all of you who knew and loved Fergie.

I love what Phenny/Katty said about our tears for friends being precious like diamonds! Such a beautiful thought!

7. joyroses13

Fergie looks adorable in those pics! So sorry about the loss of her! Our furry friends leave paw prints on our heart that will last forever!! ❤
    My thoughts are with her owner and all of you that knew her.

8. easyweimaraner

I’m so sorry for Fergie…please give Bonnie a BIG hug… that are the sad sides of having dog-friends… I often cry when I hear the sad news… but tears for friends are precious… like diamonds…