Flower Friday ~ June 22, 2018

It’s Friday so that means it’s time to feature lovely flowers. Today we’re going to take a little different tack by showcasing one of the most gorgeous flowering trees in the Denver area…the show-stopping Linden tree.A reliably large shade tree (they can reach 50-130 feet at maturity), they adapt well to Colorado’s wide-ranging climate and alkaline soils. Linden’s have a very flexible wood making them ideal as wind breaks. In late spring/early summer, they burst with tiny yellow, fragrant flowers and right now they are at their peak. The heart-shaped, green leaves will turn yellow this autumn.

Linden trees are not particularly bothered by most common tree pests and are somewhat slow-growing with slender, upturned branches creating a dense, uniform crown with a conical shape. They are easy to grow, hardy to -40°F with maximum elevation at 7,000 ft. The trees can discharge a fair amount of nectar which attracts bees so you won’t want to park under them for long since the nectar can damage the finish if left on too long. But the scent is heavenly and a highlight of our morning walks. Sometimes I just stop and inhale that sweet fragrance for several moments. It’s a wonderful zen moment in the early morning quiet.

Close-up of Linden tree flowers

In addition to today being Flower Friday, it’s also “Take Your Dog to Work Day” so Sam and Elsa will be hanging out with me in the studio today. Will you be able to take your pup to work with you? Have a great Friday and an even better weekend!

Office mates

79 thoughts on “Flower Friday ~ June 22, 2018

1. evilsquirrel13

Well, we welcome service animals at Mecca…. or what one can pass off as a service animal. I don’t think my cats would enjoy working with me anyway… but they’d sure as heck take care of our (non-squirrel) rodent problem!

2. KB

Because I usually only go to Denver for short periods, I never looked up that Linden tree! It sure is beautiful! Thanks for educating me.

Yay for take your dog to work day! My “work” was out in the forest in bear territory so I’m afraid that my pups didn’t go to work with me until I was at home reviewing the footage from my camera traps!

3. M. K. Clinton

Wow! That tree is ginormous. I can only imagine how incredible it looks when it turns yellow. Will you share another photo of it then, please?

Those Linden trees are beautiful! I can understand the need to have a few zen moments when walking near them!

As for “Take Your Dog to Work Day”, it happens around hear every day. Except they usually hide when I have the Hoover out. 🤣

5. Dakota/Caren/Cody

I have heard of Linden trees but am not sure I had ever seen one til now, so pretty! I LOVE giant shade trees! LOVED seeing your office (I am peeking at storage ideas) and your giant bookshelves are just fabulous!

6. The OP Pack

What a delicate and pretty flower that linden tree has!!! The bendy tree would do well here with all the strong winds.

Every day is take your dog to work day here – Mom works at home:)

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

The ball chair is especially good for bad backs. When sitting on it properly, it automatically rotates the hips forward lengthening the spine. It will improve one’s posture. I’ve sat on one for about 10 years and love it!

Amazon DE has them. A large yoga ball works well as a seat too (and you also get a nice core workout) but I kept running over staples which puts holes in them. 😕 Mine was a 75cm but it depends on how tall you are. Good luck.

7. FiveSibesMom

Such a beautiful tree! I have something similar to that in my backyard and now wonder if that is what it is. I will have to do a little research! Have fun at work! My four are with me, too! Happy Friday!

I haven’t heard of this tree, but it seems wonderful. What a strange “seat” you have in your home office. The pups couldn’t come with me today because I am at my new job where there is a licensed day care, and no dogs allowed. They wouldn’t like it here anyhow…the gym where screaming kids play on and off all day is right outside my office door. I use headsets and Pandora to survive the day. 🙂

Shade trees make a huge different keeping the house cool! And as you can see, there’s way too much ‘accoutrements’ in my work space. LOL But yes, dogs and their ‘accoutrements’ are always nearby as well.

I sort of took him to work in that we went out for a drive and delivered RFDS mail, then went shopping and then to the church. I parked the car and closed the gates then let him out to wander around the property whilst I did some work inside. Then we went for a drive down to the beach and off home. A good day really – not warm but not too cold either.

10. joyroses13

Looks like a wonderful shade tree and I love going on walks and breathing in a sweet aroma in the air! It does add to the peaceful walk, doesn’t it. Happy Friday! Looks like Sam and Elsa are all ready to relax this weekend! 🙂

11. Helen Devries

We had one at the last house in France…the scent was gorgeous. Have you tried the tisane made from the flowers? I used to collect and dry them on a daily basis as they opened – when within reach – and we had enough for ourselves and friends, one of whom used to sew them into mini ‘pillows’ as an aid to sleep.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w