Floral Friday ~ July 20, 2018

It’s been hotter than bloody-blue blazes this week and while there’s still 64 days until the official beginning of autumn, this week’s entry, Zinnias, seems to enjoy the hot weather.

One of the easiest of all garden plants to grow from seed and one that is exceedingly cheerful and colorful in the garden, deer resistant zinnias  bloom until the first frost. Zinnias provide a burst of color and attract butterflies. An annual that must be planted every year, they have bright, daisy-like flower heads on single, erect stems that can grow up to three feet tall. When deadheaded, you’ll have a show of flowers all season long to enjoy. They make a great addition to the cutting garden.

We hope you have loads of cheer today and throughout the weekend. I’m hoping to not evaporate this weekend at the annual lavender festival held at Denver’s Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms location (you can read  about last year’s festival here). What are your plans for this weekend?

50 thoughts on “Floral Friday ~ July 20, 2018

1. KB

Your zinnia are gorgeous! It’s too cool up here for them… so I’ll have to enjoy yours! I really hope that the thunder storms today finally cooled things down for you. The rain felt amazing!

Pretty flower. I hope you don’t evaporate, melt, or sublime in the heat. My weekends are always full. This one, a littler more full than some. Other than my normal stuff, I have a funeral to go to in the morning and then am ushering at our local minor league baseball game tomorrow night.

Thanks for the condolences. A lady I used to go to church with passed away. She had been sick and in a nursing home for many years. So, while it is sad, it is not unexpected.

3. Genevieve Petrillo

Those zinnias look strong and healthy and sturdy and resilient. If Mom planted them, they’d be dead in a week. All plants on our balcony are doomed to die a miserable death. It’s always nice to see something living and thriving.

Love and licks,
    Cupcake

I love zinnias! They are another flower my Mom loved and now I plant them almost every year too. The Botanic Gardens sound like a great place to spend some time this weekend. I’m not sure what we’ll be up to…but I know we’ll be outside tomorrow since Sunday is supposed to rain all day.

Only 35 more days until the First Day of Spring. I’m taking Benji out for a walk and I feel like Nanook of the North. I’m thinking of immigration to someplace warm – like Scotland :o)

😁 I heard Northern Europe has been quite toasty warm this summer. I’ll bet it’s warmer in your neck of the woods than cooler in ours. Have a great weekend and give Benji an extra ear scratch from me and the Knuckleheads.

6. The OP Pack

Our neighbors have a beautiful patch of multi-colored zinnias that Mom just oohs and aahs over every night when we walk. Have a nice weekend.

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Zinnias are pretty flowers, aren’t they?!

As for the heat? It’s not too bad here, but I still find that ice water and unsweetened iced tea are the only drinks that quench my thirst.

Hope you can enjoy the lavender festival without “puddling”! (One guess which movie that word came from. Hint? Maggie Evans was in it; so was James Garner.)

Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan) do well in sunny spots but they will still require some irrigation. Moonshine Yarrow (this variation isn’t invasive like many yarrows) and Tickseed (coreopsis) have thrived despite my stingy watering. We should chat about your garden.

8. Michael (GoldenKali.com)

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate. Both yourself, the knuckleheads, and the Zinnias. I have about a half acre left that needs weed eating. I’ve been waiting for a cool day to do it but cool is not in the forecast for the foreseeable future. So…. I’ve got that going for me. Enjoy the floral show.

9. Pit

Deer resistent?! Do you think our deer know that? I really suspect they don’t read any descriptions of flowers. 😀
    Enjoy your weekend, despite the heat,
    Pit

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )