Nature Friday ~ January 4, 2019

Nature Friday
Welcome to the first Friday of 2019 where we enthusiastically join our fur-iends Rosy and her brothers from LLB in Our Backyard for this week’s edition of the Nature Friday blog hop.  Don’t forget to check out other blogs when you click on the link. Not yet ingrained in my brain, I’m still having trouble typing 2019 but figure it will become second nature soon. Fingers crossed. Speaking of nature…Mother Nature went on a bit of a tear earlier this week. Last year ended with a small snow storm blowing through the 303 and New Year temperatures started out literally in the freezer with emphasis on the blowing part. Low double digits dropped like a rock into single figures with the windchill. One early morning it was below zero. Hard to even recall today as the temps have been warming since Wednesday and should be around 60 F this afternoon with mid-50’s forecast for the next several days. Crazy Mother Nature…at her best/worst again, depending on how you view it.

Here are a couple of images from Mother Nature’s first storm of 2019. The bird bath was photographed early in the morning and chills me just looking at it.

And while the sun is shining in the second image, you can see exactly what windswept looks like on a patch of ornamental grass.

So how do you plan to stay warm this weekend? Whatever you do, we hope the first weekend of a fresh new year is ‘pawsome!’

68 thoughts on “Nature Friday ~ January 4, 2019

1. Pingback: URL

Wow, your weather sounds more crazy and up and down than ours!! We got the wind chills and colder temps today. Luke and I didn’t go too far on our walk (we almost didn’t go at all but after a crappy morning of work I needed to get out)!

Sometimes even a short walk makes all the difference in one’s attitude. Those around me always seem grateful after I’ve come in from one of mine. LOL

We haven’t had nearly enough and this week it’s forecasted to be in the mid 50’s. In January! Today is super windy though so it sure doesn’t feel like 50+. More like high 30’s or low 40’s.

3. angelswhisper2011

That does look like Winter, Monika and your pictures are splendid again. We have rain, lots of rain, not cold, but it feels cold and it’s drizzly grey. Good weather to stay inside and add colour to our day in another way 😀 Pawkisses for a Warm Week ahead🐾😽💞

Thank you, Binky! It will be sunny but extremely windy today. Wind is the worst for me, I’d take the grey over wind.

4. evilsquirrel13

Back in the day, if it ever crept above 50 in January (Which it usually does at least once each winter), it was a guarantee my Dad would barbecue. Why? Because he could, that’s why. I hope the warmup is coming this way, because I can feel a cold coming on and it will be much more tolerable in tropical weather than freezing conditions…

Hope you feel better soon and the cold isn’t severe. Then again, while I’m hoping, hope the weather cooperates for you. 💊

LOL, yup the bermuda shorts crowd is very much alive, well and out and about in my ‘hood.

5. Idaho PugRanch

We were below zero earlier in the week but slowly warming up. We made it just above 30 today. Another storm on it’s way this weekend
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

Stay warm. It was in the low 60’s here today. Unbelievable after the single digits earlier this week.

6. The OP Pack

We are having some nice weather here with temps in the upper 40s/lower 50s. We pups would much prefer some snow:) Mom says the warmer temps are nice, but they do make for some muddy paws.

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Oh yes…the muddy paw season. We desperately need snow as hope more arrives soon. Enjoy your weekend!

7. Sorryless

Beautiful shots Monika!

My planned outing this weekend, will probably turn into staying home on account of being under the weather. Oh well, quilts and TV ain’t all bad.

Thanks! Winter photography can by wrapped in beauty amidst its cold temps.

Yo-yo weather is tough to navigate. We are now in a long stretch of unseasonably warm temps. *Sigh*

No problems keeping warm (Hot) here. Temperature yesterday was 38c, day before was 45c. Today it crashed to 24c and it rained for a bit – all very strange and annoying in that all the chairs and cushions are wet now.

I read about those high temps down your way. Incredible and not in a good way. Hope it cools down soon.

Yo-yo weather makes life interesting. Hope things become less up and down (and not too hot). Happy weekend.

9. aFrankAngle

Enjoy the snow – Glad you got it and not me, We are in a streak of mild temps at the moments. Especially compared to a year ago which was damn cold.

Stock show opens this weekend which usually ushers in frigid weather so the forecast for 50’s all next week is unbelievable. I do hope we get some snow though soon. It’s super dry in Denver. Enjoy the mild while it lasts. 😊

With the way the Gulf Stream flows, more often than not those westerly storms bounce over Denver. They may dump in the mountains but they hopscotch over the city. In a positive, Durango got nearly a foot and a half which is great news for that part of the state which is even in worse shape than Denver. 🤞🏼 for more of the white stuff.

10. BellaDharma's LadyMew

THE snowstorm wee were apposta get went away from out an hit Newfundland an they gotted 2 feet of snow an lotss of trubbell. Today THE Sun was out an it was 35 F so mee was out inn condo fore 15 min-nuttss…
    Wee have onlee 2 inchess snow here…furry odd Miss Monika….furry odd….
    ***purrsss*** BellaDharma

1. BellaDharma's LadyMew

Mee-yow Miss Monika yesterday it was snowin an then gotted warm an rained an then gotted chilley an freezin rain an then sum more snow an today ALL THE snow iss gone? An it iss 40 F out. LadyMew went to get milk an snackss an shee was too warm inn her coat! Mee even sat on inn Condo for 15 min-nuttss today!
        What iss goin on????

Crafting sounds divine. Be sure to send the extra moisture our way-we can really use it. 😊

11. Xena and Lucy

I dont miss that kind of weather. Our priest’s flight out of Chicago was cancelled for weather last Saturday, so we had to just do something c as lled morning prayers on Sunday. 😋

12. Sandee

Oh my, that’s a lot of snow. I don’t mind it if it’s someplace else, but I would think snow makes getting around a lot more difficult.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

It’s really a pittance compared to the way it used to be. I’ve lived through numerous blizzards that dumped 24” of the white stuff and shut everything down for days. 😲

13. joyroses13

It was in the 50’s here on New Year’s Day which is unusual but the whole past year has been unusual as far as weather goes. so I guess its just continuing. I am really ready to see some snow though besides these gray, rainy days!

We’re now entering into a week’s worth of 50’s after New Year’s single digits. I’m getting whiplash from the temperature swings. LOL

14. Knotty Toys for Good Dogs

Canadian winters are always all over the map but the past few winters have been pawsitively iced.
    Low temperatures & very little sun is the norm.
    Today is tolerable with -3C & a bright sun makes it a beautiful day, for winter.
    Excuse me, I have to go bark at a squirrel 🐿
    💜nose nudges 💜

15. Dale

New Year’s Eve evening started with those beautiful big fluffy flakes, which turned into wet snow, then a drizzle then downright rain… We had gone into Old Montreal for the festivities and got soaked through. Thankfully the temps were around 0 to +2C (32 – 34 F) which for us, is rather balmy!
    Got hit by snow yesterday but something tells me that rain also fell during the night. I am going out there to dig out my car… sigh.

Lovely photos!

16. Pit

No problem here with staying warm during the weekend. Temperatures will be in the upper 60s! I wouldn’t mind some snow here, though.
    Enjoy your weekend, and stay warm,
    Pit
    P.S.: Our cousin was in her second place in Buena Vist during the week, and they had MINUS 18 Fahrenheit! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It WAS super frigid in the mountains and I was glad my daughter doesn’t live up there anymore. I don’t mind snow in winter so much but windy conditions…well that’s another story. Enjoy the mild temps!

17. Kate Crimmins

My stepkids all live in Denver and have posted snow pictures. We haven’t had any except on surprise one early that clogged everything up but was gone fast.

Thank you. I rarely post anything anymore that hasn’t been shot by the new phone camera. I watch that bird bath from the kitchen window and see some amazing sights.

There’s usually a line waiting to use it. You may have to queue up. 🐦

Howl or bark your thoughts. No growling, please.