Welcome to August’s In Purrsuit of Flavours. This month’s theme is tea, probably something near and dear to a British heart, right Norman?
Woof woof, mum!
As a general rule, I don’t normally drink tea but as someone who loves Indian food, I do very much enjoy a nice Chai tea with my meal or even with dessert. Chai also makes for a lovely substitute for coffee. Hot or iced, it can be a lovely change of pace beverage to begin one’s day.
DIY Instant Chai Latte Mix (Courtesy of Southern In Law Blog)
- Add ingredients to blender or food processor (making sure it’s important so your milk powder doesn’t become moist and lumpy).
- Blend all the ingredients until everything is fine and incorporated.
- Store mix in an airtight jar or container.
How to Use the Mix:
- To make a Chai Tea Latte: Brew black tea in a teapot or separate cup. Add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of mix to the bottom of your cup and pour the tea on top. Alternatively, add your dry mix to a saucepan, mix with a small amount of hot water to dissolve and add in milk and a tea bag, heating over a medium-low heat until heated through and your tea has steeped.
- To make a Dirty Chai: Add 1-2 tbsp of mix to the bottom of your mug and pour over hot brewed coffee, stirring to combine. Your can also make an iced coffee version, blending the mix in a blender with your iced coffee ingredients or dissolving the mix in a small amount of boiling water before adding your iced coffee ingredients.
- Like all the recipes shared here, these ingredients are a guide. Play around with the proportions, adding more/less spices, milk powder, and sugar to suit your own taste buds.
- Skim/nonfat or full fat milk powder can be used, according to your choice.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can use regular white or brown sugar. Stevia or other sweeteners can also be substituted for the sugar.
- Paleo and Vegan Option: you can use coconut milk powder instead of milk powder here.
**The next time I whip up a batch, I will likely eliminate the nutmeg so avoid having tiny floating bits on the surface.
Live, love, bark! 🐾