Fab Friday

While mining the Internet for inspiration, I came across this short video and thought it might bring a smile to your face to your face or provide at least an a-ha! moment like it did for me. Not sure why I never thought about the introduction of play to Elsa’s daily sessions on learning how to be a dog before but am glad to have accidentally stumbled across this now. Here’s hoping there’s lots of play in store for you and your fur-iend this weekend.

Do you use play as a training tool?

Live, love, bark!

32 thoughts on “Fab Friday

I was blown away by all the videos and how clever she is! While I can’t begin to comprehend the work involved to get her to that point, it was very inspiring and gives me another tool to utilize with Elsa.

1. KB

I do, but it was a learning process to reach this point. Shyla used to be afraid to play. I took a course with Denise Fenzi who really encouraged me to cultivate Shyla’s interest in play. Now, she adores both simple games that involve no toys and games that involve tugging. Tugging really revs her up, which is great for a fearful dog!!!

I loved the video.

Lexi was so easy to train because she was both very smart and very food motivated. I already realize that play and affection will be the motivators and rewards for Lucy. It’s sort of like knowing your dog’s love language. 🙂

3. Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat

WOW. I don’t try to train Bear Cat … but I know that our play sessions end up being a bonding activity without meaning to … and that increases his trust in me … trust being important to training. I think people, dogs, etc, learn better when it feels like a game and not a chore. I love the video 🙂

I’ve been using play (and lots of verbal praise) with Ducky for the last few years … since the vet diagnosed her IBS … mostly because I had to limit her treats. I think incorporating play will be a BIG PLUS for sweet Elsa.

5. coloradogeography

We give a running commentary as we play with our dogs “Good get it! Good sit! Good settle!” It is a lot more fun than doing it with treats, and everybody can go a lot longer.
    Treats can be very distracting. When I give them as a reward, I have to make very sure that I save the “puppy crack” — pupperonis or bacon strip style goodies — for when they are prone to be distracted.
    Chaser is amazing. But she challenges me to see how much more I can get my dogs to achieve. And very sad for the very smart dogs who get no stimulation except what they provide for themselves.
    Let’s go play with our dogs!

I have used food to motivate Tippy when learning something new. It can be distracting for her, especially if it is a treat she LOVES. I’ll have to try to use play more and see how it goes. Problem is, she doesn’t have a game that she particularly likes to play – not for long anyway. Hummm. I’ll have to think about that.

When dogs are food motivated, it’s easy to train them but for those who aren’t or who are learning about what motivates them, play can be a great tool, especially with simple games of fetch. Elsa hasn’t figured that game out yet but we’re still working on getting her familiar with all forms of training. She’s pretty smart so hopefully she’ll catch on quick. Think it’s just important to use what they enjoy most but it doesn’t have to be just food. ღ