Monday Musings ~ September 25, 2017

Happy Monday, sports fans. Hope you had a marvelous weekend. Last Friday we broke a temperature record hitting 92 but then in a blink of an eye, autumn arrived with cooler temps and some much welcomed rain. Good thing I pulled out the long pants and sweaters because the mornings are crisp hovering in the mid-40’s.

When we visited hospice last week, I spent a few minutes in the chapel contemplating some of our visits and came across this saying from Ralph Waldo Emerson. I thought it was a beautiful sentiment and hoped it provided the visitors some measure of comfort. As it turned out, it seemed especially poignant with one of the patients, a young fellow who had the largest crowd of visitors I’ve ever seen at hospice. In fact, there were too many people to fit in his room at any given time. We met up with a number of them in one of the anterooms. Clearly this man was well-loved by his tribe. All his visitors were well tattooed, wore lots of leather and more than a few pony tails hung down the back of several of the guys. Even though we weren’t actually able to see him personally, I guessed he probably had some of the same tats, pony tail and no doubt the same road warrior twinkle in his eyes that his visitors displayed as Sam made the rounds with them. They seem to channel that their lifestyle was a total joy riding down the road, with the wind in their faces. Perhaps that’s why the Emerson quote resonated so much with me that I made a note of it and why I added it to a spider web photo taken near Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

And so friends, I would encourage you to live deeply today, and always. You never know what direction the road in life may take you.

Live, love, bark! ❤︎

41 thoughts on “Monday Musings ~ September 25, 2017

1. Miss Harper Lee

Such a beautiful reminder. I know your visits with the young man’s friends were very welcome. Sometimes I think visiting the people who surround a patient is just as important as visiting the patient. Everyone needs love . . . and Poodle love is extra special. ❤

2. B Harmony

Know only too well that scenario, how love is expressed at the end of life, truly a precious time in the life of the dying, and lives of the surviving.

Humbling, beautiful post. No life is wasted, even in the final days and moments of it. ❤️

I thought it was goin’ to gets cooler, butts as always here in the Bay Area, Sept./Oct. are sometimes the hottest times of the year! Though, if we’re lucky, we do gets cooler at night, so it isn’t as bad as mid July.
    I loves that quote. I thinks us Doggies live by that ~ always in the moment, and always living life to the fullest. My hope is that everyone in the Hospice can enjoy such love as that man did.
    Ruby ♥

You are digging out the long sleeves and I am folding mine and setting them aside for short sleeves – although not quite the shorts yet a while, but it is 34c here again today ( Tuesday 26th. Sept.) Still quite cool in the morning and in the evening when walking with Benji.

5. KB

Living in the moment is a theme of mine. I can see that visiting hospice makes it even a more intense need. It must take so much energy from you to visit. You are such a good person. Thank you for all that you do.

6. pibblelife

What a great quote. It really resonates with me and my humom right now because my furbrother Keiko isn’t doing too well these past couple of weeks. He’ll be 14 in November and my humom has been talking with the vets about his options. Of course we want him to live forever and my humom thinks 14 years is too short!

7. maxwellthedog

Good thing I pulled out the long pants …
    Yeah, we’ve been talking about you not having pants.

Just kiddin’. I agree that Ralph Waldo did indeed have a way with words and the sentiment about living in the moment seems more on point the older one gets. Of course I have to live in the moment because, with my memory, I forget what I had for breakfast. Speaking of memories and living in the moment, here is your morning chuckle, an oldie but goodie:

“I remember when Grandpa’s memories started to go; it was the day I caught him urinating with the door open… which is not a huge deal, but it’s annoying when I’m trying to drive.”
    —Jon Dore