Fab Friday ~ October 6, 2017

Last weekend was the quintessential Fall weekend. Perfect temperatures in the 70’s, low humidity, and crystal clear blue skies define autumn in Colorado. The kind of weekend that is not only most welcome following a few days of misty rain with chilly temps, but the kind that beg you to stroll through gardens and enjoy the outdoors. And this weekend was extra special, as there were a gazillion tourists out enjoying it and who weren’t congesting the highways. Often confused with Monarch butterflies, the Painted Lady butterflies have been so numerous this year as they move south toward their warmer winter habitats but first they will gorge on tasty local offerings. They even have been spotted on weather radar. See stories here and here.

Radar images showing a 70-mile-wide wave of butterflies drifting across the Denver metro area. Source: National Weather Service via AP

What’s not to love about this time of year? The temperatures are usually mild and there is a special glow of light that turns everything golden and gorgeous highlighted by exquisite blues/purples contrasting against typical autumn colors. Many of the summer flowers have for the most part, given up center stage to their autumnal cousins although the annual Zinnias are holding out till the first frost. Hardy Mum, Aster, Black-eyed Susan and my personal favorite, Plumbago are all demanding the spotlight.

As I walked through the garden, the Painted Ladies explode upward, as they flit around in annoyance that their nectar banquet was interrupted. Quietly kneeling and holding perfectly still, I patiently wait for them to return and resume the meal. I am soon rewarded.

Butterflies in the mahogany colored foliage of Plumbago

Happy Flower Friday. Tomorrow is Sam’s 12th bark day so we hope you will swing by. There will be special treats for His Knuckleheaded-ness so let’s get this pawty started. But first, let’s entertain our good friend, Friday wine. Cheers!

Live, love, bark! ❤︎

32 thoughts on “Fab Friday ~ October 6, 2017

1. Aquileana

How beautiful… I feel fascinated when it comes to butterflies. I´ve have heard they often live a few days after the original caterpillar turns into a butterfly, which makes me sad, but also even more appreciative of their beauty… Lovely post…. Sending hugs! 😀

Cheers! We have just a small group of purple asters, but the large marigolds are just coming into their prime now! They were slow to get going, but I think they know when their orange and yellow colors fit in best.
    I love how the butterflies are showing up on the radar, and I had just seen that on the news before reading this!

3. dorysbackyard

Wow…what beautiful butterflies. I am always amazed by their tried and true migration patterns!
    Happy Early Birthday, Sam!
    xoxo,
    Jakey, Arty & Rosy

4. Michael (GoldenKali.com)

Great time of year early Fall. Too bad winter comes crashing in so fast up here at the Golden K. So we’ll enjoy the beauty and fall colors while we can. Plus we could use another year of plentiful rain and mostly cold weather and snow in the higher elevations. Happy Barkday to Sam; I hope he reciprocates the sharing of his treats that his ninja sister did on her recent gotcha day. Enjoy the weather and festivities!

5. Jan

I love your description of the season, I would enjoy fall more if I could think like a dog and live in the day. But I know winter is coming. We have mild winters but they are not summers.

6. easyweimaraner

yes, it was such a wonderful weather and it was so great to be outside… but since yesterday the “real” fall moved in and the wind is cold and icy… think the mama needs a warmer coat and new boots to survive that siberian temperatures ;O)

The radar with the Painted Ladies is amazing! Never seen anything like it. I may not be near a computer tomorrow (explanation later) so dear Knucklehead, er, Sam, have a joyous, treat-filled 12th birthday. You are a special dog, for sure. ❤