October Is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month

While inadvertently fur-getting to acknowledge National Black Dog Day, I decided not to make a similar mistake again by not noting that October is Adopt a Shelter Dog. Sam and I did our part rescuing Elsa and always encourage others to save a shelter pet. Shelter dogs have so much to offer and so much love to give. Every year 3 to 4 million dogs are euthanized because the number of pets in shelters exceed the number of shelter adoptions. Shelter pets come in all sizes and breeds and there’s bound to be something for everyone. Many shelters even have a number of purebred dogs as well. Remember our Remember Me Thursday post last week where we mentioned Eliot and Puck? They were each rescued from a shelter a couple year’s apart as was McKenzie, my sweet, black standard poodle. All three of those rescues lived long, happy lives while providing the family amazing joy and happiness. All these pets want is a chance to smile and have the opportunity to share their lives with a loving upright.

So this month in particular, if you’re looking for a pet, remember #AdoptDon’tShop. Put a smile on a rescue and they’ll leave indelible paw prints on your heart and in Elsa’s case, probably chew up a couple pair of glasses, socks and other weird things-but gosh I love this girl so much. She brings such joy every day.

Live, love, bark! ❤︎

47 thoughts on “October Is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month

1. Pingback: Dog Adoptions! – A Dog's Life? (Stories of me and him)

2. jank1961

I’m not sure when we’ll be able to do it, since our own rescue Luke might make adding a new dog difficult, but I hope the next ones will come from a shelter. ♥

Oh, shelter puppers are pawsome! Ma tried to adopt and rescue an Airedale before she got me, butts we are a rare breed (can’t imagine WHY???!!! BOL!!!!) She says the next doggie waaaaay down the road will be a rescue (hopefully and Airedale ☺ or OES), because they have the bestest hearts…….pawsome postie!
    Ruby ♥

OES shelter groups are numerous across the country and there are usually a fair number available in California. Good luck. They are quite the breed and guaranteed to make you laugh at their antics. Dogs like you aren’t so much ‘rare’ as they are extra special, Ruby. Happy weekend. 🐶

4. M. K.Clinton (@mk_clinton)

We haven’t adopted a dog but I did adopt my cat years ago. Bentley was a birthday gift for someone that didn’t want him and offered him to us. Pierre was my daughter’s dog that we were keeping while she was living in Alaska. He and Bentley bonded so we kept him.

5. dorysbackyard

Both Arty and Jakey are Shelter pets. Make sure to visit our blog today to learn about our Annual No Tricks, Just Treats for Shelter Pets event we’re holding to help shelter pets at the end of the month 🙂
    xoxo,
    Jakey, Arty & Rosy

6. Kismet

Both Kaci and Kali are rescues. It takes a rescue a bit to settle in because usually they’ve been knocked around in life and expect more of the same. Once they figure out that they’re there for good, they’re the best.

I have had several shelter dogs over the years, including a very small dalmation, and as you know, we now have Riley and Lucy, who thankfully didn’t quite make it to the shelter. Our next pup (in the not too distant future) will be another mini schnauzer from an excellent breeder. Sometimes ya just gotta have your fix.

8. colinandray

Shelter dogs are the best! They really appreciate being given another chance, and the personal satisfaction of knowing that you gave a dog that chance PLUS (BONUS) you freed up shelter space for another unfortunate dog…….. priceless!

Can I promote my book here? My first 18 months of living with a shelter (and my very first) dog!

The third of October 2015 is when I drove 600 miles from home to Mount Gambier to see and adopt Benji. It was a long and exhausting 1300 mile trip and although it is one I make regularly, this time it was different and more tiring. It was a very long weekend but two years later on, I do not regret it. Benji is loved by everyone ( except the WaWa) and he has become part of everything we do. Don’t buy a puppy – adopt a puppy – adopt a dog. The rewards are outstanding. The love and affection you give out will come back to you, ten-fold.

You win the ‘went to the ends of the earth’ award for saving Benji! I had no idea of the distance to Mount Gambier. Well done. Benji is one lucky pupster. Even more so now that the WaWa was reunited with it’s owner. 😍

1. Sarah Ferguson and Choppy

I sometimes wonder what would have happened to her had I not showed up – thankfully, the shelter she came from has gone from a high kill shelter to a no kill shelter by transporting dogs north to where there aren’t many shelter dogs available, so at least I know she would have found a home.