Word(y) Wednesday ~ August 23, 2017

We’re coming up to the Ninja’s 1st Gotcha Day in a few weeks (egad…hard to believe it’s been nearly a year!) and came across this graphic that seemed appropriate to share given the fact that she’s a puppy mill survivor. Dogs like Elsa endure such horrific conditions and all they are allowed to do is turn out puppies with every cycle until they are discarded (or seized in Elsa’s case), exasperating atrocious genetic lines that invariably have health and/or behavioral consequences. Since it’s next to ‘impawsible’ to monitor every puppy mill operation, please remember to NEVER buy from a pet shop. EVER.

Batman will be watching.

Live, love, bark! ❀︎

58 thoughts on “Word(y) Wednesday ~ August 23, 2017

1. CarolMaeWY

Elsa we’re so glad you were saved and adopted by the ranch so we could hear your tails. This year has flown by. Looking forward to your gotcha day pawty. We, Bear & Sammy, hope to be there with bells on if we’re invited. πŸ˜‰πŸŒ» What would you like? Special treats, a swim in our pond? We have a new resident there, Tank, the turtle. He’s a big guy. Wonder where he came from? Bear and Sammy are so curious but leave him to enjoy hiding in the lilies and rushes and under the bridge with the trolls.
    We’re still catching up. . .

2. Nylabluesmum

I totally agree Monika! In the 61 years I’ve been on the planet I’ve never bought a cat or dog! All were rescues! Both Nylablue & Mingflower my Meezer girls were results of ‘puppy mill’ breeding of cats…They were wonderful loving cats who deserved a lot better than the lives they had!
    Siddhartha Henry was not a puppy mill cat; altho he was born in a barn whose population had expanded far too quickly & there was serious illness that almost killed him & his 2 siblings…
    With so many 4 leggeds needing adoption there is NO need for pet stores to even sell animals in my opinion.
    (((hugs))) Sherri-Ellen

3. pibblelife

YES! Love this! Vancouver has recently made a new law that bans pet stores to sell dogs, cats and rabbits! Pet stores are only allowed to showcase animals from recognized animal shelters and rescue societies now. Hooray!

Here in CA, they are about to pass a law that will make it illegal for Pet Shops to sell dogs or cats unless they are from a shelter or rescue. They hold adoption events, butts no puppies in the windows here! I can’t remember the last time I saw animals for sale here… Now, that doesn’t mean that there still aren’t mills, I’m sure they still exist, butts I thinks they mostly have moved out of state. I hope all states pass such laws, and maybe, just maybe it could go national! paws crossed!
    Happy Happy Gotcha Day!!!! (early…)
    Ruby β™₯

Outstanding, Ruby! I think there’s a state on the East Coast that recently did the same. Sadly there are far too many ‘backyard breeders’ who don’t know the first thing about how to breed pets responsibly.

Nearly a full year – it hardly seems like it already. I expect it will probably seem a bit longer for you considering the “troubles”the Ninja had. I assume they have settled down since you don’t mention them so much. She is a very lucky young lady to have been rescued by you and Sam.

I wish the epi-monster was gone permanently. She had a minor seizure a couple days ago but I was able to treat it without having to take her to the vet. Just shy of 3 months. *sigh* I was floored when I realize she been here that long myself. Still seeing progress, one baby step at a time. πŸ‘πŸ»

6. Knotty Toys for Good Dogs

We love this meme!
    3 bum swings! 3 more!
    Our hearts go out to Elsa & good dogs like her who are/were seen only as profit. Gggrrrr!
    #EndPuppyMills

We’ll be waiting to hear more about a certain girl’s Gotcha Day!
    3 bum swings! 3 more!

Nose nudges,
    CEO Olivia

A year already (well, almost)?? I know how hard it is to believe – Ducky’s 5th gotcha day is September 17th and that doesn’t seem possible either. But our girls are both happy to be part of our families, they’re loved wholeheartedly, and they have their fur-ever homes.

Hopefully some day it will become as universally, socially unacceptable to buy animals from pet shops as it is to buy seal skin coats that used to belong to a baby seal that was clubbed to death.

I don’t know how people could treat animals so badly. You would think, even if they only had them for breeding purposes, that they would want them to be healthy and well taken care of in order to have better puppies! (I am in no way saying puppy mills are okay, in case it came across that way.)

9. peacelovepointers

LOL, the Batman meme is pretty funny! Of course some people will all but slap you if you mention you got your dog from a breeder, never mind it was a responsible breeder, you are an evil person for not adopting. That, I think, is taking it too far. But anyone who buys from a puppy mill deserves to be slapped for their ignorance, Batman style!

I have no issue with responsible breeders and applaud them for their efforts-they provide the foundation for well adjusted, healthy pets. Building a good genetic line is a far cry from the irresponsible who just seem to be in it for the money.

10. Kate Crimmins

I have a friend who adopted a puppy mill survivor. A male beagle. Very beautiful and very scarred emotionally. They had a rough few years with him as they weren’t allowed to be out of his sight or he would freak out badly. It was such a sad story but the adopters were the best kind of animal people. They worked with him and did what they needed to do to make his life happy. He is better today but still suffers from anxiety. He will accept meeting new humans. Makes you wonder what they did to him that traumatized him so. Perhaps we don’t want to know. I agree with EasyBlog. May those folks find their own hell. Kudos to you for saving Elsa!

Thanks for the kind words. Puppy mills are incredibly cruel. Most of the time, they don’t do anything other than feed the dogs. They don’t socialize them, just keep them to sell puppies to unsuspecting people or pet shops. The mere thought turns my stomach. I’ve never seen a mill dog who wasn’t a matted, filthy mess who wasn’t freaked out about everything initially. Rescuing these dogs isn’t for the faint of heart or the impatient. Your friend must be an angel to take on that challenge. Kudos to her.

I wish I could interview Elsa. To hear how she endured, then how she copes with the freedom she has now. The enjoyment and daily love, so different from the first part of her life. She is so very beautiful inside and out. Good Mommy Monika… good mama!

12. easyweimaraner

I’m so glad that some people made an end of the puppy mill and seized Elsa… it makes me so sad, that heartless humans do this to pets… and if there is only one crumb of higher justice on our slice earth then the same will happen to this evil hardcore breeders…